What is abstinence in Overeaters Anonymous? How can you use the tools of the program to achieve and maintain abstinence? As part of OA’s strategic plan, the Region Chairs Committee has created this Abstinence PowerPoint presentation to assist in exploring the concept of abstinence. As you prepare to present it, you may find the following literature helpful:
- A Commitment to Abstinence
- A Plan of Eating
- Dignity of Choice
- “The Doctor’s Opinion” from Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th edition
When opening this document, select Read Only. If you prefer a PDF of the presentation, click here.
Strong Abstinence Checklist and Writing Exercise
Use this valuable tool every day to support you in keeping your abstinence strong and intact. You may also use it as the focus for meetings and workshops.
- Have I been abstinent today?
- Did I pray and meditate today?
- Am I maintaining or working towards a healthy body weight?
- Did I rely on my Higher Power to get or stay abstinent today?
- Is what I am currently doing working for me to remain abstinent?
- If I am having problems have I asked someone else what they are doing?
- Have I made an OA call today?
- Did I have an attitude of gratitude today?
- Did I plan my food today?
- Have I helped someone else today?\
- Did I have an action plan in place to stay abstinent today?
- Do I have a sponsor and am I working the Steps with that person?
- What is compulsive eating for me?
- What are the foods and food behaviors that trigger me to eat compulsively?
- Am I afraid to get abstinent and if yes, why?
- Why do I think abstinence is important?
- What do I do to stop eating compulsively?
- What Steps do I take to remain abstinent in all circumstances?
- What is the difference between abstinence and a plan of eating?
- What actions do I take to maintain my abstinence and achieve or maintain a healthy body weight?
- How do I begin my day in order to abstain from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors?
- What tools do I regularly use?
- How does remaining abstinent improve the quality of my life?
- What place does food have in my life today?
Click here for a PDF of this checklist and writing exercise.
© 2014 Overeaters Anonymous, Inc. Board